Wolston Park Pavilion Conservation Plan
The cricket pavilion and oval stand within the Wolston Park Hospital complex the earliest institution in Queensland for the treatment of the mentally ill, which was developed in 1865.
The cricket pavilion and oval stand on a part of the site which accommodated the male wards built between 1914 and 1935. This area is within part of the hospital complex acquired by the Department of Police for establishing a Police Academy.
The oval was established around 1895 and the pavilion was built in 1910 by adapting an earlier warders' mess room (constructed by 1896) and moving it to the south west corner of the oval. The pavilion and score board were moved to its existing position on the south east corner of the oval in 1936 at which time the toilets were also constructed.
The oval and cricket pavilion are important for their association with the philosophy of 'moral treatment' introduced by Dr HB Ellerton who was Superintendent of the Institution from 1908 1936. Key aspects of this philosophy were the establishment of a pleasant environment and the encouragement of activities like sport. Ellerton was himself a keen cricketer and was also responsible for the establishment of the cricket pavilion. The oval is a focus for the male wards which are grouped around the western and southern boundaries with views across the oval.
Cricket provided a public face to the institution through cricket matches with visiting teams and community attachment to the oval has continued through the use of the building and pitch by the Wolston Park Centenary Cricket Club.
Wolston Park Hospital, including the cricket pavilion, toilet block and oval, is entered in the Queensland State Heritage Register (Place ID 600340), listed in the Register of the National Estate (100630) and is listed by the National Trust of Queensland (BNE 371).
To read the full plan click here.